THE NO-NONSENSE SUMMARY:
This position is intended for serious, hard-working professionals looking to be part of a multinational growth organization. Our product and service model has proven successful in Europe and we’re expanding our business into the United States with our first office just outside Detroit in Livonia, Michigan. As our second US employee and first lead warehouse operator, you will be working with our customer service and planning departments to ensure correct, safe and efficient receipt, storage and dispatch of warehoused products.
THE ROLE’S MISSION
Yes, you read that right – we’re looking for a SUPERSTAR. If the title sounds unconventional, it’s because CAPLINQ is too. We’re looking for that special someone who has not one, but two complementary skills – the amazing ability to be super meticulous (Detail-oriented, precise & organized) as well as an affinity for logistic affairs (enjoy organizing deliveries with FedEx, UPS, DHL, and organizing special deliveries including cold & frozen supply chain & Dangerous Goods deliveries).
CAPLINQ is a small, fast-growing company and we’re looking for talented, team-playing individuals to join our team. We’re a different kind of company looking to find special people, so we also write our job vacancies in a way to attract similar like-minded people. We’ve been successful in Europe for 15 years and have only recently expanded our operations to the USA, with our first official location in Livonia, Michigan.
In the description below, we try to give you an idea of exactly the kind of people we are looking for by listing the desired outcomes of the position and the desired competencies of the ideal candidate. If you find yourself nodding along with this description and see yourself as a perfect fit for this position, then I encourage you to read on. If on the other hand, you’re already exhausted reading this, I recommend you take a nap and check out another job post.
- Maintain a 100% accurate physical stock level vs system stock level
- Maintain a 0% loss of sales for goods that cannot be invoiced due to loss or damage due to incorrect handling & shipping
- Handle inbound & outbound orders independently and accurately
CANDIDATE COMPETENCIES | Candidate is able to:
- Prioritize, organize and plan work daily
- Accept responsibility for the safe, clean and efficient operation of all logistics-related activities
- Be extremely accurate, ensuring packing, paperwork and shipping is done according to work instructions
- Able to write work instructions in English for self and others to read, understand and follow
- Work and communicate (written and verbal) effectively with team members, suppliers and vendors
So, what will you be doing?
The position and responsibility will grow along with you. As a small, but growing company, the role will be exciting for you if you like working in a small team and get satisfaction out of always finding new ways to do our work better, faster and more efficiently.
Broadly speaking, we currently have three major areas that will be your responsibility.
1. Outbound Orders (about 40% of your time)
You will be personally responsible for ensuring the correct handling of outbound orders going out to our customers. What you send will be the first impression the customer receives of CAPLINQ as a company and so it’s important to make sure this is as positive as possible.
Examples of activities:
- Outbound shipments
- Picking customer orders (based on orders/packing lists provided by customer service
- Picking customer orders (based on collected order of which products that were not on stock)
- Prepare orders for shipping — website orders based on invoice (including necessary paperwork/labelling)
- Select and save picked lot numbers per order
- Prepare orders for shipping – Order Fulfillment orders based on packing slip (including necessary paperwork/labelling as instructed in Customer Specific Requirements sheet)
- Prepare dry ice shipments @ freezer location as instructed
- Arrange pickups online on websites of FedEx, UPS, DHL, other couriers & Asendia
- Update status to Shipped including tracking details after pickup has been requested on Order list
- Truck inspection before loading (cooled, clean, odor-free)
- Other (Update status to Shipped after pickup on Forecast, prepare CMR, assist with loading)
2. Inbound Shipments (about 30% of your time)
Garbage in, garbage out is the expression. If we don’t ensure the products we receive are in great shape, it will be impossible to send out high quality products. You will be responsible that we don’t tolerate any garbage in.
Examples of activities:
- Receiving incoming shipments
- Physical check of incoming products (qty pallets or boxes/condition)
- Communicate with Forwarder in case of discrepancies/damages
- Sign of for incoming shipments if delivered in good order (no damaged boxes)
- Physical check of incoming products (correctness, qty and condition of received products)
- Communicate with Customer Service in case of discrepancies/damages
- Labeling incoming shipments as instructed (based on lot numbering in PO’s)
- Change status of Purchase Orders/Material Requests to “arrived”
- Prepare customer orders for products that were not yet on stock
- Receive weekly shipment of dry ice
3. Warehousing (about 30% of your time)
A clean, organized warehouse saves time and reduces mistakes. It will be your responsibility to make sure that you know where everything is in the warehouse, and to have it arranged (as you like) to best match the ins and outs of the orders.
Examples of activities:
- Monitor physical inventory and responsible for the correct level of stock of products
- Organize Warehouse areas (cleaned/maintained/safe)
- Daily controlling temperature cool chamber and freezers
- Daily logging of temperatures
- Control inventory of packaging material (boxes/tape/wrapping/etc)
- Order packaging material (direct or through Admin Assistant)
- Weekly order supply of dry ice
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
What mindset do you require?
Skills can be learned. Mindsets, though they can be learned too, are more often a part of who you are. We value the mindset at least if not more than either experience or hard skills.
- Curiosity – We want a person who is curious, and rarely satisfied with the first answer. If you find something that doesn’t agree with what you already think, then we want someone who wants to know why.
- Attention to Detail – We want a person who is organized, manages their time well, and has good observation skills. Hint! Don’t forget to read the last paragraph 😉
- Continuous Improvement – People and processes can always get better. We’re looking for someone who questions every process to see if there’s not room for improvement.
- Courage – Bosses make mistakes and colleagues aren’t always fair. That’s life. We’re looking for someone who may be afraid to confront these issues, but does it anyways.
What skills do you NOT need?
Before we list the skills you do need, it is important that you know what we skills or experience we do NOT require:
- Product knowledge: You do not need to know anything about any of the products we sell, nor any of the services we provide. All will be taught on the job.
- Logistics experience: You do not need to know anything about logistics, warehousing or transport. Again, you will learn it all on the job.
- Lots of work experience: This is meant to be an entry-level position where you will learn “knowledge” on the job. What we can’t teach – and value enormously is someone that is organized, analytical, curious, dedicated and shows a high level of “stick-to-it-ness”. There’s always a better way, how do we get to it?
JOB REQUIREMENTS | What skills do you require?
Very few hard skills are required. Candidates will be required to:
- Read, understand and follow work instructions in English
- Use a computer, printer & tools to work effectively
- Work safe, clean and tidy to ensure operational efficiency
- Move stock around, either by hand or by using a forklift
- Be flexible to duties and tasks
- Be a positive team player
- Read and speak basic English
Skills not required, but that get bonus points (any of them count):
The job does not require these skills, but they are welcomed extras, be sure to mention them.
- Forklift Operator: We don’t even have a forklift yet, but we expect to get one within the year
- Driver’s Licence: There may be errands that need to be done with the company car.
There is no need to send your CV unless it looks awesome and you want to impress us with how it looks. Otherwise, we will use your LinkedIn profile (better make sure it is complete!).
Instead, candidates wishing to apply are requested to send an email to email@example.com that includes:
- A link to your LinkedIn profile (Ok, if you don’t have a LinkedIn profile, you can send your CV)
- A one-page, personal cover letter
Let me repeat that last part in a different way… We are looking for people who stand out from the crowd with a well-written, enthusiastic one-page letter telling us why this position speaks to you and what you could bring to the team.
If all you do is send a CV (we told you not to), and no cover letter your application will be discarded without even being read.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org