THE NO-NONSENSE SUMMARY:
This position is intended for serious, hard-working professionals looking to be part of a multinational growth organization. Our product and service model has proven successful in Europe and we’re expanding our business into the United States with our first office just outside Detroit in Livonia, Michigan. As our second US employee and first office and logistics administrator, you will be learning from your European counterparts to clone the successful operations in the USA. You will be working with the customer service, sales and planning departments to keep office operations running smoothly while ensuring safe and efficient receipt, storage and dispatch of warehoused products.
THE ROLE’S MISSION
Yes, you read that right – we’re looking for a SUPERSTAR. If the title sounds unconventional, it’s because CAPLINQ is too. We’re looking for that special someone who has not one, but two complementary skills – the amazing ability to be super meticulous (Detail-oriented, precise & organized) for office activities as well as an affinity for logistics affairs (enjoy organizing deliveries with FedEx, UPS, DHL, and organizing special deliveries including cold & frozen supply chain & Dangerous Goods deliveries).
CAPLINQ is a small, fast-growing company and we’re looking for talented, team-playing individuals to join our team. We’re a different kind of company looking to find special people, so we also write our job vacancies in a way to attract similar like-minded people. We’ve been successful in Europe for 15 years and have only recently expanded our operations to the USA, with our first official location in Livonia, Michigan.
In the description below, we try to give you an idea of exactly the kind of people we are looking for by listing the desired outcomes of the position and the desired competencies of the ideal candidate. If you find yourself nodding along with this description and see yourself as a perfect fit for this position, then I encourage you to read on. If on the other hand, you’re already exhausted reading this, I recommend you take a nap and check out another job post.
- Organize, maintain and follow processes for productive and cost-effective office operations
- Handle inbound & outbound orders with 100% inventory accuracy and 0% loss of sales due to unsellable goods
- Learn and master each activity and can confidently teach to fellow colleagues
CANDIDATE COMPETENCIES | Candidate is able to:
- Prioritize, organize and plan work daily
- Accept responsibility for the safe, clean and efficient operation of all logistics-related activities
- Able to write work instructions in English for self and others to read, understand and follow
- Work and communicate (written and verbal) effectively with team members, suppliers and vendors
- Loves challenges, not afraid to get your hands dirty and is able to resolve problems independently
So, what will you be doing?
The position and responsibility will grow along with you. As a small, but growing company, the role will be exciting for you if you enjoy a broad range of activities and aspire to become a manager in a growing organization as you master the activities described hereunder.
Broadly speaking, we currently have five major activities for which you will be responsible. None is currently a fulltime job, but as we grow, each could eventually be, and depending on your interests and growth trajectory, you could lead any one of these or be the manager for all of them.
1. Office Administration (about 25% of your time)
You will be responsible for all aspects of the office and its administration and expected to maintain and follow processes for productive and cost-effective office operations.
Examples of activities:
- Negotiate lease agreements, determine office requirements (what will we need as we grow)
- Arrange, negotiate and maintain and handle office amenities and supplies (paper, coffee, keys, desks, computers, etc)
- Arrange, negotiate and maintain office utilities (lights, internet, phone)
- Arrange, negotiate and coordinate office-related contract work (plumbing, electrical, any constructions)
- Arrange, negotiate and coordinate required packaging supplies (boxes, dry ice, pallets)
2. Outbound Orders (about 25% of your time)
You will be personally responsible for ensuring the correct handling of outbound orders going out to our customers. What you send will be the first impression the customer receives of CAPLINQ as a company and so it’s important to make sure this is as positive as possible.
Examples of activities:
- Outbound shipments including picking customer orders (based on orders/packing lists provided by customer service
- Prepare orders for shipping — website orders based on invoice (including necessary paperwork/labelling)
- Prepare dry ice shipments @ freezer location as instructed
- Arrange pickups online on websites of FedEx, UPS, DHL, other couriers & Asendia
- Web-based administration of orders (Status update, updating lot numbers, sending tracking details)
3. Inbound Shipments (about 20% of your time)
Garbage in, garbage out is the expression. If we don’t ensure the products we receive are in great shape, it will be impossible to send out high quality products. You will be responsible that we don’t tolerate any garbage in.
Examples of activities:
- Receiving incoming shipments including physical check of incoming products (quantity & quality of orders/boxes)
- Communicate with Forwarder & Customer Service in case of discrepancies/damages
- Labeling incoming shipments as instructed (based on lot numbering in PO’s)
- Administrations of Change status of Purchase Orders/Material Requests to “arrived”
- Receive weekly shipment of dry ice
4. Warehousing (about 15% of your time)
A clean, organized warehouse saves time and reduces mistakes. It will be your responsibility to make sure that you know where everything is in the warehouse, and to have it arranged (as you like) to best match the ins and outs of the orders.
Examples of activities:
- Monitor physical inventory and responsible for the correct level of stock of products
- Organize Warehouse areas (cleaned/maintained/safe)
- Daily logging of temperatures in cool chamber and freezers
- Control inventory of packaging material (boxes/tape/wrapping/etc)
- Weekly order supply of dry ice and order packaging materials
5. Accounts Receivable/Payable (about 15% of your time)
You will be responsible to make sure that all the suppliers and vendors are paid and that all the customers have paid us in the agreed payment terms.
Examples of activities:
- Enter suppliers invoices and payment terms to ensure timely payment
- Enter vendor invoices and payment terms to ensure timely payment
- Send invoices and/or reminders to customers to make sure they pay their invoices within agreed payment terms
- Enter invoices and receipts for all the office supplies into bookkeeping system
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
What mindset do you require?
Skills can be learned. Mindsets, though they can be learned too, are more often a part of who you are. We value the mindset at least if not more than either experience or hard skills.
- Curiosity – We want a person who is curious, and rarely satisfied with the first answer. If you find something that doesn’t agree with what you already think, then we want someone who wants to know why.
- Attention to Detail – We want a person who is organized, manages their time well, and has good observation skills. Hint! Don’t forget to read the last paragraph 😉
- Continuous Improvement – People and processes can always get better. We’re looking for someone who questions every process to see if there’s not room for improvement.
- Courage – Bosses make mistakes and colleagues aren’t always fair. That’s life. We’re looking for someone who may be afraid to confront these issues, but does it anyway.
What skills do you NOT need?
Before we list the skills you do need, it is important that you know what we skills or experience we do NOT require:
- Product knowledge: You do not need to know anything about any of the products we sell, nor any of the services we provide. All will be taught on the job.
- Logistics experience: You do not need to know anything about logistics, warehousing or transport. Again, you will learn it all on the job.
- Lots of work experience: This is meant to be an entry-level position where you will learn “knowledge” on the job. What we can’t teach – and value enormously is someone that is organized, analytical, curious, dedicated and shows a high level of “stick-to-it-ness”. There’s always a better way, how do we get to it?
JOB REQUIREMENTS | What skills do you require?
Very few hard skills are required. Candidates will be required to:
- Read, understand and follow work instructions in English (must be at least 7/10 in English)
- Able to lift and move boxes up to 20kgs (45lbs)
- Use a computer, printer & tools to work effectively
- Work safe, clean and tidy to ensure operational efficiency
- Move stock around, either by hand or by using a forklift
- Be flexible to duties and tasks
- Be a positive team player
Skills not required, but that get bonus points (any of them count):
The job does not require these skills, but they are welcomed extras, be sure to mention them.
- Business Admin/Bookkeeping Experience: It’d be helpful if you already knew what you were doing
- Excel/Google Sheets Junky: We use a lot of Google Sheets still, so if you can help us, we can use it.
There is no need to send your CV unless it looks awesome and you want to impress us with how it looks. Otherwise, we will use your LinkedIn profile (better make sure it is complete!).
Instead, candidates wishing to apply are requested to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes:
- A link to your LinkedIn profile (Ok, if you don’t have a LinkedIn profile, you can send your CV)
- A one-page, personal cover letter
Let me repeat that last part in a different way… We are looking for people who stand out from the crowd with a well-written, enthusiastic one-page letter telling us why this position speaks to you and what you could bring to the team.
If all you do is send a CV (we told you not to), and no cover letter your application will be discarded without even being read.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com