Balance Weight Adhesion Promoter
- Increases adhesion to the wheel surface
- Provide increased safety and reliability
- Already succesfully used on Alcoa DuraBright wheels
Aculon presents it's new and revolutionary solution for permanent adhesion of balancing leads for Alcoa DuraBright wheels, the Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes. Aculon's Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes are the perfect and fast solution for optimizing the wheel balance process and to ensure excellent adhesion between the leads and the wheel. Aculon's Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes are the only solution available that can change the aluminum surface, without any visual notice, and increase adhesion to the wheel surface with 50% to obtain a better bond between the wheel and the lead tape.
Currently various OEM manufacturers of trucks and busses are already applying Aculon's Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes in combination with Alcoa DuraBright wheels.
Advantages of Aculon's Balance Weight Adhesion Promoter
- Improved adhesion strength of silicone paints/coatings on
- Does not out gas
- No stress-build up on the substrate
| Appearance |
Appearance at room temperature.
| Specific Gravity |
Specific gravity (SG) is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance; equivalently, it is the ratio of the mass of a substance to the mass of a reference substance for the same given volume.
For liquids, the reference substance is almost always water (1), while for gases, it is air (1.18) at room temperature. Specific gravity is unitless.
| Viscosity |
Viscosity is a measurement of a fluid’s resistance to flow.
Viscosity is commonly measured in centiPoise (cP). One cP is defined as
the viscosity of water and all other viscosities are derived from this base. MPa is another common unit with a 1:1 conversion to cP.
A product like honey would have a much higher viscosity -around 10,000 cPs-
compared to water. As a result, honey would flow much slower out of a tipped glass than
The viscosity of a material can be decreased with an increase in temperature in
order to better suit an application
|Visible Light Transmission||100 %|
| Boiling Point |
The amount of degree’s needed to reach in order to make the substance boil.
| Flash Point |
The flashpoint of a solvent is the lowest possible temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable vapor.
Flashpoint is often confused with “autoignition temperature”, which is the temperature at which a solvent ignites without an ignition source.
|Coating Thickness||5-100 nm|
How to apply the Balance Weight Adhesion Promoter
STEP 1 ⇨ CLEAN
STEP 2 ⇨ TREAT
STEP 3 ⇨ DRY
Parts must be sufficiently clean before treatment for proper bonding and effective application.
To clean, solvents or soap and water can be used to degrease the substrate.
Wipe - The first wipe on the substrate should be with an IPA wipe to remove dust/contamination. After the surface is cleaned, use the wipe to thoroughly apply pressure to the location. After 30 seconds or until the treatment is dry wipe with a clean dry towel to remove any residue (critical step).
Typically curing is not required, however a 5-minute cure at 60 C can benefit in some cases.
Spray - Spray the solution onto the substrate using double passes.
Dip - Fully immerse the part in the treatment solution for 5 minutes. To decrease the dip time, post-cure is recommended for optimal performance.
Dip with Sonification - Completely submerge the substrate in the solution and sonicate for five minutes. Then remove the substrate and allow it to air dry.
- For spray application, post-application curing is recommended for best performance.
- Coat the substrate as soon as possible after cleaning to prevent recontamination.
- Spray Equipment Suggestions: HVLP(Binks Mach 1), HVLP(Devilbiss JGHV), Air Atomization(Devilbiss MBC gun), and Airless(Graco Model 225-292 President Pump Series A).
- Cure temperatures and conditions should be optimized based on substrate and durability requirements.
- Clean all equipment with alcohol (e.g., Isopropanol) or the solvent used.
- If a UV-curable coating system is being used, then it may be necessary to modify the curing parameters to ensure sufficient radical generation near the surface of the monolayer to achieve optimal adhesion.
The Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes have already been tested under extreme temperature fluctuations, extreme high torques and humidity conditions. The tests have been executed by independent institutes in combination with Wegmann automotive weights and Aculon's Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes passed all tests succesfully showing it's excellent surface energy enhancing qualities. In all the shear adhesion tests where Aculon's Surface Energy Enhancer Wipes were used, the taped lead weights remained fixed to the wheel surface, which shows how these wipes provide increased safety and reliability on the road.
- Use as a primer layer for organosiloxanes/organophosphonates
- Improved bonding of silane (high temperature) over-mold compounds