Encapsulants & Underfills
Chip on Board Liquid Encapsulants cure to form void-free globs when exposed to heat, with formulations for low CTE, minimizing stress on wire bonds during thermal cycling. These encapsulants are easy-to-dispense, minimize induced stresses, provide improved temperature cycling performance, and offer excellent chemical resistance.
Underfills offer easy reworkability as well as excellent vibration and impact resistance. These underfills offer many processing advantages such as fast flow, fast cure, and long pot life. Our new Cornerbond technology fits easily into an SMT process flow and eliminates a separate underfill dispense and cure process, saving time and money.
Flip chip underfills are used in devices such as FC CSPs and FC BGAs for ASICs, chipsets, graphics chips, digital processors, and microprocessors. These fast flow materials permeate easily under large die. Offering excellent adhesion when used with a variety of no-clean fluxes, these underfills will not crack after thermal shock or thermal cycling.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is REACH?
REACH is the acronym for Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals.
- European union regulation that started in 2007 and their goal is to improve the protection of human health and the environment from the risks that can be posed by chemicals.
- Encapsulants fall under the REACH regulations. That’s why manufacturers, importers and end users need to ensure that their products and the products that they are using are REACH compliant.
REACH places the burden of proof on companies.
- Companies must identify and manage the risks linked to the substances they manufacture and market in the European Union
- Companies must demonstrate to European Chemical Agency (ECHA) how the substance can be safely used, and they must communicate the risk management measures to the users
- If the risks cannot be managed, authorities can restrict the use of substances in different ways
- In the long run, the most hazardous substances should be substituted with less dangerous ones
REACH Services provided by CAPLINQ
- REACH Only Representative provides a legal entity in the European Union (EU) for the "chemical import responsibility" of substances into Europe.
- ORO, Brexit, Consulting, Registering and Testing
What does SVHC mean?
Substances fulfilling one or more of the criteria defined in Article 57 of the EU REACH regulation can be identified as “Substances of Very High Concern" (SVHC) and put on the “Candidate List for Authorization" which is also called "REACH SVHC list“
- Substances meeting the criteria for classification as Carcinogenic, Mutagenic or Reprotoxic (CMR) cat 1 or 2,
- Persistent, bio-accumulative and toxic (PBT) substances,
- Very persistent and very bio-accumulative (vPvB) substances,
- Substances for which there is evidence for similar concern, such as endocrine disruptors
Common Substances of Very High Concern.
- Many Semiconductor Grade encapsulants contain an Anhydride based resin system.
- Some of these Anhydrides are SVHC listed, so they may be banned for use in Europe in future
- All materials supplied by Henkel comply with REACH and SVHC regulations
How does SVHC affect you?
LOCTITE ECCOBOND 7010C DAM & FIL are Hybrid encapsulants for stress sensitive electronic components which require SVHC free and CMR free materials. They are 80% silica filled products with 120um filler size that offer High Tg and low CTE.
Typically used in the Defence and aerospace markets, automotive applications, power electronics and any stress sensitive field. Successful applications include wirebond and component protection on multilayered PCB boards applications such as On-Off switch of generic energy flow in airplanes.
Dam & Fill encapsulation for stress sensitive electronic components
Low viscosity ensures good flow around wire bonds
First CMR & SVHC free, “REACH compliant” Dam & Fill encapsulant
Qualified in aerospace applications
Low moisture uptake (85°C/85%RH)
High Tg, low CTE for low stress
High reliability performance (-40/+150°C thermal shock)
Meets NASA outgassing test (ASTM E595-15)
Contains fluorescent dye to aid visual inspection
SVHC Free Encapsulants
Dam and Fill
|FP 4451TD||DAM 7010C||FP 4450HF||FP 4470||FP 4651||FP 4802||FIL 7010C|
|Silica filler (%)||73||80||73||75||82||72||80|
|CTE ?1 (ppm/°C)||21||16||21||18||11||20||16|
|Cure Time (min)||30 + 90||60 + 60||30 + 90||30 + 90||150 + 150||30 + 90||60 + 60|
|Cure Temperature||125 + 165||100 + 150||125 + 165||125 + 165||110 + 150||125 + 165||100 + 150|
|EO 1016||EO 1072||EO 7021||FP 4460||FP 50300HT||FP 50400-1||FP4323||EN 3838T||8387BM|
|CTE ?1 (ppm/°C)||46||43||67||20||20||20||28||57||88|
|Cure Time (min)||20||5||60||180||120||120||240||8||60|
|Cure Temp(°C)||150||140 - 150||120||150||150||150||150||130||100|
SVHC Free Underfills
LOCTITE® ECCOBOND UF 1173 material has been formulated without any reportable REACH SVHCs (current to June 2018) and the product is not CMR classified.